Thursday, February 21, 2008

Eclipsed

Gramps
My Grandfather was born here in Portland- Just as his father before him. My Great-Grandfather owned a very popular ice cream shop in Sellwood during the 1930's when Gramps was growing up.
During his life he was a pilot (flew the plane under the St. John's bridge during his first flying lesson), a barber, and taxi driver by the name of Frenchie Duvall. He met my Grandma at a USO dance downtown Portland. They got married two weeks later and stayed that way for 50+ years.

He died on Valentine's Day. He and my Grandma's Anniversary.
grave

It was a pretty harsh day. I learned some things that will effect my life permanently. I'll spare you and just leave you with some of the residue of the finer moments.
coffin
"Do you want to get high before or after the funeral home"?
"Both".
"Good call. I brought my van..."
"Since when do you have a Shaggin' Wagon"?
"I don't. I have a Cuddle Shuttle".
spring
As my 14 year old sister and I stood crying together- paying respects to the Grandpa's shell. Sobbing, she turns to me and says:
"Right now might not be the appropriate time but....Where the hell did you get that bad ass purse?"

As my day drew to a close, I sat on the hood of my car and enjoyed the lunar eclipse with my camera. This 1/1000 of how beautiful it was.
P1010296.psd

3 comments:

Average Squirrel said...

note to self: 4" shutter time.

Unknown said...

coincidences:
my granddad was born in 1922 as well.
my nana died on a valentine's day.

i'm sorry about your gramps!

Average Squirrel said...

Valentines day mocks us all.