Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Camera Obscura

My latest project was building a pinhole camera out of shit in my house and take some awesome photos. I bought all the supplies a couple of months ago (chemicals and RC paper) then never got around to it until the thieves stole my camera. I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to get in touch with the roots of photography while I wait for my new camera to arrive like a well behaved squirrel.

I built my first camera out of a bread crumb container and a beer can.
IMG00354.jpg
Go learn for a moment...

I set up a mini dark room in the basement.
My first two attempts were blank. Alas, the paper hinting for the need of a longer exposure time.

Today for Pinhole Test Run #3, I placed the camera outside for one hour.
postpinhole copy
Self high five because this shit worked finally.

I also took the opportunity while this photo was brewing to construct two more cameras for tomorrows pre-Melvins photo experiment time.
newpinhole
The larger one on the left is from coffee can and the one on the right is an Altoid tin. I plan to use the tin as a portable means of capturing one specific moment. Maybe if I am close to the stage tomorrow night, We'll see what happens.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is pretty amazing stuff! I would never think to try some of the things you do. It's cool!